Monday, November 06, 2006

all night walgreens...

So when you fall off of your bike, drugs can help. Of course we were released from theER at 5 after 6pm on sunday, so our local CVS had quit dispensing by that time. I know from experience that the 70th and pioneers Walgreens is not an all night prescription service, so I dropped the invalid at home, and headed out to 70th and "O". I had been there before on a Sunday evening, so I knew what I was getting into. And the wait was going to be 35 minutes. For some that may seem like a lot, but after the slow motion of ER observation of a head injury it seemed like lightening to me. Nothing a bag of Habanero Doritos and a Diet Dr. Pepper were not going to be able to get me through. So I settled in for some great people watching.
Lady on a cell phone...
I cannot believe how some people are on a cell phone. I did not know this person, I did not introduce myself, I know her pretty well now, and I am sort of hoping we do not meet further down the road. The thought of a subsequent meeting where there might be a formal introduction sort of makes me feel all nervous inside. I must have been sending out this nervous vibe because she cut the second call off, somehow between the first call and the second call she had become completely aware that she was in public, "I will have to call you back I am at the pharmacy"
The sickly looking little boy standing in the cart...
This always gets me revved to my max, I have caught other kids nose diving out of carts before, so I like to brace myself to be quick. His mom looked sickly too, and all of his teeth were capped a sign that he was very ill at birth and for a time afterward too. He was very cute. His mother had a very fragile posture, made me wonder what the whole story was. It was not really that late on a sunday, but it just seemed like they both should have been somewhere calm and cozy on a sunday night. Somehow soup seemed in order. He did not nose dive out of the cart by the way. I was really glad about that. Somehow when you save a kid from that, parents will look at you like it was your fault. Yes they had their backs turned and you stopped a potentially bad thing from happening, but because you alert to their error in judgement somehow you are the bad one. I love that. It makes all the nice run right out of me like water.
The young woman who just looked like she was in pain...
Posture is an interesting thing. The way people will hold themselves when they hurt. The way they walk and fold their arms over themselves as if that will give some extra comfort against the pain. She had a really nice young man along with her, and even in the pain they looked like they had just come from somewhere important. She had on very high heels, even though she was in pain, and he had on a tie. He carried around a shiatsu massager and a heating pad, and a bag of ziploc baggies which she was really mean to him when he asked if she wanted paper or plastic. Plastic of course, ziplocs, growl. He slunked away and came back with them. It seemed like it sucked to be him.
The people working behind the counter...
I think the hardest thing on the planet is deciding how many people you need to work when. It seems like there is just no way to make a solid calculation. Sometimes you will have people standing around making money for nothing and sometimes you will be swamped no matter how well you tried to plan ahead. I love my neighborhood pharmacy, long ago they were open on a sunday night too, but that has been gone for a while now. At work they are always trying to get my meds on the 3mth at a time mail order way. But what would happen to the guys at the neighborhood pharm then. I know them, they know me, I never need my med numbers. I like that I know them, it makes me trust them when they tell me about stuff interacting and how some of my meds I should take in the morning and some at night. I always miss them tons when I have to go to the all night Walgreens...

1 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger Adrian Olivera said...

Grea post! Keep em coming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home